Regulatory & Spectrum Management
RKF Engineering provides a FCC and ITU regulatory services for both commercial and government clients to support the acquisition and/or protection of spectrum assets including but not limited to:
- Orbital Slot mining & Slot Negotiations
- Applications for satellites and earth stations (ITU & FCC)
- Satellite/terrestrial coordination
- Spectrum clearing
- Spectrum acquisition and defense
- ITU/FCC filings (IFICs) & Recommendation Development
- Participation in WRC conferences and preparatory meetings
- Technical analysis and simulations
Unused terrestrial and satellite spectrum is scarce. RKF can provide a wide variety of options for corporations interested in acquiring new spectrum including but not limited to the acquisition of spectrum through:
- Slot mining, i.e. the search for available geo-synchronous spectrum slots taking into consideration legacy applicants
- Partnering with other applicants
- Establishing new regulatory constructs within the ITU or FCC to facilitate the use of new bands for new applications
RKF Engineering personnel have extensive experience in spectrum management including significant regulatory experience with both the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) and the US Federal Communications Commission (FCC). RKF Engineering has provided regulatory expertise to many U.S. corporations as well as the government.
RKF Engineering was the engineering and regulatory team for PanAmSat for 17 years and coordinated all of PanAmSat's satellites with over fifty foreign satellite systems around the world while abiding by ITU rules and regulations. RKF personnel have experience that dates back to the beginning of spectrum management and have attended WARC's (now called WRC's) going back to the 1970's. RKF has been associated with ITU since 1965 when our CEO Philip A. Rubin was the first satellite communications expert for the ITU.
Recent RKF regulatory experience includes:
- Served as an expert witness on Capitol Hill for the FCC Shriva Ruling
- Studies and technical analyses in support of DirecTV
- FCC & ITU Regulatory support for TerreStar
- Submitted arguments and performed studies in the BSS reduced orbital spacing FCC Notice of Proposed Rule Making.
- Developed strategies and technical arguments for News Corporation's position on Ultra Wide Band (UWB) and Multiple Video Distribution and Data Service (MVDDS)
- Supported the U.S. Navy in protecting 13.75 to 14 GHz spectrum used by shipboard radars from commercial VSAT encroachments. Developed five technical papers that demonstrated several misstatements by the VSAT community.
- Served as architect and lead U.S. spokesperson of non-geostationary orbit (NGSO) / GSO satellite sharing agreements. RKF wrote more than 30 technical papers and contributed to numerous recommendations.
- Proposal to FCC to support critical infrastructure wireless communications using 14GHz band shared with the fixed satellite services in support of Winchester